This was taken from Vankleek Hill’s Higginson Observation Tower. Those are the two sides of Main Street in the background. The original windmill was built in 1832 to grind corn, but the business shut down because there was no wind most of the year. During the Fenian Raids in 1866 it was used as part of the local defences. Even today, when locals hear an Irish accent, we use it to send out signals to the British. History is fun.
One thought on “Downtown Vankleek Hill from the Higginson Tower”
Great shot, the little boy makes it so much more interesting, it looks like he’s getting ready to go out there and he’s just checking things out.